Monday, December 3, 2012

My first walk to the office was nearly my last

My company's Hyderabad office is located in Hitec City (wikipedia.org), which is a pretty slick place.  It's nice in that things are very closely located.  The hotel is a simple 5 minute walk from the office.

Luckily for me, a couple of my India team-mates came to meet us at the hotel and walk us to the office.  Along the way, you need to cross a fairly simple two lane road.  Note that this crossing does include a crosswalk.  As we headed across this thing, I did so with my normal, I'm a pedestrian and I've got the right-of-way approach.  When I got to the middle of street I looked to the left, saw an oncoming car and continued walking, with the expectation that the car was going to stop for me.  Not the case.  I came within a foot of being run over.  The only thing that saved me was Vikas, one of my team-mates, bringing to my attention that I needed to stop and wait for the car.

Lesson 1 learned - pedestrians do not have the right-of-way in India.

No comments:

Post a Comment